Frequently Asked Questions
Are there specific hardware specs for running these images?
Oracle BIC2G Demo Image(s) your PC/Server/laptop will require at least:
- 1 CPU rated at 1.5 GHz (2 CPUs may be supported depending on virtual environment)
- 3 GB of RAM or 4GB of Ram for Vista or 64-bit OS
- 80 GB of free space on a 7200 rpm or faster hard drive
- Externally connected drives should be USB 2.0, Firewire or eSata
- It is highly recommend that the disk be defragmented prior to the install
- A non-wireless network card for access outside of the virtual environment
- MS VHD runs using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 under Windows XP, Server, Vista (32-bit and 64-Bit*) also requires MS IE (will not run using Firefox or Mozilla)
- VMWare runs on any host that can run VMWare, windows or Mac OS-X
I am having problems working with the network settings at a client site. What should I do?
Download this PDF document adapted from Oracle's documentation that explains how to set up VMWare's networking to work with and without a local network.
The image provided to us by Microsoft ceases to work January 24, 2010. We are working with Microsoft and Oracle to develop an imavgbe with a later stop date in a future release.
Does the Microsoft VHD expire and can it be upgraded to a full license?
The VHD is a Trial license of the Microsoft Products and cannot be upgraded to a full license. The image expires 30 days from the date that the extracted image is started. To get another 30 days simply extract the image again. The image currently stops working on January 24, 2010. If the image needs to be modified to add your specific related content use a virtual drive other than C drive to store the content and the 30 day refresh only needs to update the C drive.
How are these images supported?
Technical support is provided for the installation of the virtual demonstration environment and starting of the virtual machine and the Oracle software. We do not provide support of the individual demonstrations. WE DO NOT PROVIDE PHONE SUPPORT. Support is limited to email correspondence with firstname.lastname@example.org. We need to have as much information as possible so we can try and provide you a timely solution to the problem. Please include the following information with any support request:
- The version of the BIC2G image. "Oracle BIC2g: BI & EPM June 2009 Option 2" for example.
- What virtualization software and version. MS Virtual Server 2005, VMWare Workstation 6.5, etc.
- Host memory capacity and Virtual Machine memory settings. Host 3GB / VM set to 2.1GB
- Network settings. NAT, Bridged, etc. See this PDF document.
- Can you connect to the internet from withing VM?
- Please provide details of the problem and include the steps followed, and screen captures or complete text of any errors encountered.
Can we use an online forum to help each other with tech support?
Yes. There are two Oracle forums created specifically for this purpose. BIC2G:BI image support and Hyperion:EPM image support.
Will there still be a Linux-based BIC2G demo image going forward?
Oracle will be releasing an updated BIC2G on Linux sometime this spring. The last release was Spring 2008. Information on the availability of this updated image will be posted on http://bic2g.oracle.com.
If I buy the OEM license and there is an update do I have to purchase the OEM version again?
No, we are working on a way to just provide an upgrade to the OEM image. More information will be available once an updated image is released from Oracle and we know more about what is changed. There will be a nominal charge to cover our costs to produce the updates.
Is the Option 2 VM license for per seat or concurrent?
It is per-seat in accordance with the Microsoft licensing.
Can we use one image for two sales people if they are not using it at the same time?
You may copy the VHD image (option 1) for use multiple times within your organization, with all recipients agreeing to these same license terms.
The VMWare virtual machine (option 2) is licensed or use on a specific device. This virtual machine contains an OEM license of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and contains an OEM license of Microsoft Small Business Office 2007. You must affix the "Windows Certificate of Authenticity" sticker to the device with the virtual machine. As such, you are not permitted to copy this virtual machine or run it on multiple devices. To purchase additional copies, contact Vlamis Software Solutions, Inc.
If you choose option 2, do you actually own a software license for windows OS and office?
Yes. You get a fully-licensed copy of Microsoft Server 2003 Standard and Microsoft Office Business. It is yours to keep.
What problems can be expected with Vista?
With the Microsoft VHD versions of the demonstration environments, you may need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator to access the virtual machines.
Do I have to have a PayPal account to order?
Not at all. Here is what you need to do:
- Visit our website at http://www.vlamis.com/bic2g and click the "Buy Now" button.
- Select the Option you wish to purchase.
- Enter your Oracle Partner Program PIN.
- Click the "Add to Cart" button.
- Verify that your order is correct and click "Proceed to Checkout" or click "Continue shopping" to add another BIC2G Option.
- Click the small "Continue" link located just above the Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and Discover logos, near the center of the page shown here.
- Enter your shipping and credit card information and complete the purchase.
I am having problems getting PayPal to accept my credit card. Who do I contact?
You should probably contact your credit card company first. Their number should be on the back of your credit card. You can also contact PayPal at 1-402-935-2050 4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST Monday through Friday and 6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST Saturday and Sunday.
Can I just phone in an order?
We are unable to accept telephone orders at this time.